Thursday, January 30, 2014

Undeniably Suburban: My Story

So... I spent most of my growing up days in suburban Kansas City.  It's undeniably suburban.  In college (K-State), I studied abroad and fell in love with traveling... and also with urban life.  So I went to law school in Chicago (Loyola Chicago) and fell IN LOVE with that city.  I studied abroad again (solidifying my commitment to travel and big cities) and then... fell in love with a boy. Not a big city boy, but a small town boy from Oklahoma... oh, and he had a daughter so he wasn't portable - meaning I had to choose either him and his sweet daughter or Chicago.

So, since I found the only thing I found that I loved more than Chicago, I packed up my Wrigleyville apartment (in a horse trailer none-the-less), moved to Tulsa, and married this rowdy Okie.  Marriage and children had never really crossed my mind before him, so I was a little surprised by myself.  I guess love can do that to you.  A few years later, we relocated to suburban Kansas City and I find myself here again.

In 2010 we had a little boy and now I'm pregnant again (like roughly 35% of the other suburban women between the ages of 25 and 35 walking around).

My life is... undeniably suburban.  I say this because I have tried to live in denial.  I have tried to be cool and pretend I'm still hip and a little urban for the last several years of my life... but I'm not.  I've come to realize: I'm undeniably suburban.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment