Thursday, January 30, 2014

Chansons en Francais?

In my urban existence I used to see these foreign language schools for children in Chicago.  I decided my future kids would definitely attend such a program.  After all, the number one thing I hear people say they wish they knew how to do was to speak a foreign language.  However, living in suburban Johnson County, I have found that these fancy places are basically non-existent and that foreign language programs for preschoolers are inaccessible to working parents, unless your preschool happens to offer something.  So, I really want to expose my kids to foreign languages... what's a suburban, non-bilingual, working mom to do?

Well, my son and I love music and I took some French classes in high school and college so I scoured iTunes for some super basic French kid songs... so that I could understand enough to tell him what the songs were about.  So far it's been a success - he loves listening to them and can even sing a few.  I don't expect my son to be fluent in French, but the idea is to expose him to it.  Yes, I'd prefer to get my kids into a program where they could really learn the language, but I'll have to settle for what I can offer.

I thought I'd share a couple of our favorite French kid songs.  If you've had a semester of French at any point in your life, chances are you can get the gist of most of these (and when in doubt, the internet often has translations)

< My all time favorite is "Mon Corps" from the album "Wiggleworms Love You"  It's a song about the music you can make with your body
https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/mon-corps/id114311167?i=114310811

"Nage, Nage, Nage"  by Hannah Naiman >
A short little song I learned in high school French class about a little fish who is eaten by a barracuda, who is eaten by a shark, who is eaten by a whale.  What's not to love?
https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/savez-vous-planter-des-choux/id402376582

< The album "Bilingual Songs: English-French, Vol 1" by Sara Jordan Publishing is cool (please ignore the lame looking cover art) because they actually sing all the lines in French and English... so you can be certain what they are saying.  Here are our favs from this album:
Colors / Les Couleurs
Days of the Week / Les Jours de la Semaine
Counting to 10 / Compter Jusqu'à 10
https://itunes.apple.com/us/artist/sara-jordan-publishing/id275409452

Classic French songs we like are from "Chansons et Comptines de Notre Enfance"  It's where we get "Alouette" and "Frere Jacques"  >
https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/chansons-et-comptines-notre/id307174317

If you have any other good ones, let me know!

BTW, if you know of foreign language programs in Johnson County that offer weeknight or Saturday classes for preschoolers, please let me know that too.  Any language is acceptable. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment